Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The One Where I Lose it at Marshalls

I may have mentioned recently the exhausting endearing phase that Keagan is going through.

You know.

The Mommy phase.

When Keagan started talking I so hoped that he would say "Momma" first. What was I thinking?

Momma wants to change her name.

Momma doesn't live here any more.

Momma is going to lose it.

And I nearly did. In the middle of Marshalls the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Randy and I went in with a plan. He'll go look at boots while I entertain the wee one and then we'll switch.

So Keagan and I wander the store, all the while {mind you he's IN my arms because GOD FORBID I put the 33lb. child down...it's a wonder I don't look like Jillian Michaels yet} saying "Mommy...Mommy....Mommmy...Mommma..." You know...like this?



That's my child. In a nutshell.

So finally Randy is done with his boot shopping and we do an old switcheroo. I dash to the Christmas decorations and I'm in bliss.

Until I hear him. In his sweet little voice. "Mommy....Mommmy....Mommmmy..." And he's not crying. He's not whining. He's just saying my name over and over and over and over.

I take a deep breath, knowing that even if I DO go over there he's still going to be calling for me. It's his thing right now. It's what he does. My going to him isn't going to make any difference in the world.

So I continue looking at the glass Christmas tree that would one day {as in when Keagan turns 18} be on my dining room table when this whench woman behind me says "For the love of GOD, will SOMEONE answer that child."



Yeah. That's me.

I put down the Christmas tree ever so gently. Turn and say:

"That's MY child. He's with his father. He's fine. I'm SO sorry he is ruining you shopping experience here today {I know you can't read my sarcasm or my tone...but believe me...it was ON}."

As I turn on my heel and walk away she says "Well why don't you ANSWER HIM then."



I had to keep walking for fear that I was going to punch her.

Randy of course thought it was hilarious.

Me? I need a drink. And now the kid is calling me. Again.

9 comments:

Gina said...

I think I would have punched her. But I'm mean like that. ;-)

Unknown said...

She needed a very pointy ornament up her nose. ;)

Unpolished Parenting said...

She couldn't have been a mom to have said that. Hoping this phase passes soon - cause, yeah, that's just exhausting!

Jenn said...

OMG, I'm dying laughing here. But then I realize that I am looking into my own future and I want to cry a little.

Though I fear that in my version of this future, my husband is posting bail for me because that woman would have been exiting the store with a Christmas tree up her nose.

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

You should have yelled.. "Mommy's comming Keagen, just dealing with a very rude lady first!"

Ashley said...

Haha, the mommy's are KILLING me! Hilarious story. She totally doesn't have kids or is too old to remember the mommy phase!

Laura said...

Randomly perusing blog world and found you.

I can't believe the nerve of some people. I might not have been as nice as you. :) I have two kids always calling for Mommy and it drives me nuts!

Unknown said...

Came back to tell you I gave you a sparkly award today. Maybe that will counteract the pissy Marshall's Lady:

http://postcardsfromoblivion.net/2010/12/you-may-now-call-me-the-stylish-wombat/

Jenn said...

Wow, i hear the whole mommy mommy thing. Sometimes you just want to put a pillow over your head. He wasn't bothering her! If she doesn't like it I'm sure there was an entire store for her to visit.