Wednesday, May 28, 2008

It takes a weekend away...

This past weekend the darling husband and I went camping with an old friend and his new girlfriend. That's right, camping. Those that know me are probably giggling right now trying to envision me in a tent. Or not showered. Or hiking.

Laugh away my friends, laugh away. It's well deserved.


I could go on and on about the views, but a picture is worth so much more than any words I can come up with! Amazing to say the least.


But it's not the views, the tent living, the drinking wine by the fire or numerous hot dogs that were consumed that were the highlights of our Memorial Day getaway. No, in fact it was something so little that most of us wouldn't even pick up on it.


Time.


That's right, time. Our lives are forever on the go. He is traveling constantly for work. I'm working long hours when he is home. He is studying for exams while I am left to my own devices. Don't get me wrong, we have a healthy, happy marriage. We rarely fight (much to my dismay at times) and when we do it is usually because I'm restless and need a row. There is a pattern to our days and nights together, a general follow thru that rarely deviates.


Most people would call this a rut. I don't. No, I call it comfortable...with a touch of monotony.


This weekend though, there was something there. Randy, the pup and I set off on our own in the afternoon and took a hike just the three of us. The first mile or so was punctuated with my breathless requests for water or a quick break. The next half mile us talking about our friends we were camping with (all good stuff I swear). The last part was just us. We talked about our jobs, our families, our projects for the house. We talked about where we are, where we want to be. We talked about our quest to add a little one to our family.


You see, we had the time to finally talk. We had the time to smile at one another, enjoy the view and make each other laugh. Time.


Who knew we needed it so badly?




No comments: