Friday, October 8, 2010

Follow Friday - Jenn&Tonica from What the Blog?



TGIF Readers. T.G.I.F.

Seriously.

This week has been nuts. 10 hours in a car on Sunday {which by the way we ALL survived}, starting a new job on Monday, and oh yeah...did I mention my child is the devil incarnate {or perhaps approaching terrible two ::gasp:: status}?

Needless to say there is a very large bottle of Barefoot Pinot Grigio with my name on it in the fridge.

I'm serious. I used a Sharpie.

Anywho.

This week's Follow Friday featured blogger is none other than the lovely, the talented, Jen {not Jenn} from What the Blog? Not only is she a to the point, no holding back straight shooter, but she also makes me laugh on a daily basis.

And? She's having triplets, yo. Seriously. Triplets. Single-handedly she has filled my twitter-feed with #triplets. It's ridiculous.

So, if you aren't familiar please go check out Jen from What the Blog? and tell her Jess sent you.

~~~
Who are you (name/blog/things we should know)?

I’m just a small-town girl living in a lonely world. Wait. I think that’s some chick Bon Jovi sang about.

Riiiiight. I’m Jen, Jenny or Jennifer – never Jenn. I call my own little piece of the Internet “What the blog?” and I’m a former journalist who finally learned to love to write my own stuff rather than just edit what’s been written by others. I’m a nerd. I’m hilarious. I finally rebelled at 27 years old and dyed my hair pink – probably because there was no one to yell at me about it.

What got you started blogging and what do you blog about?

I started back in 2007 because my head was just too full of blather, and I found myself babbling to my husband about stuff that would make his eyes glaze over. A lot of my writing back then was about health and fitness and my struggles to be both healthy and fit. Since then, I’ve blogged about cooking, reading, writing, infertility, and – most recently – pregnancy. Basically, I write about what’s most prominent in my life.

If you were another person would you be friends with you?

Um, YES! Well, maybe not if I met myself at a random mixer where no one knew anybody else. In that scenario, I’d probably wonder who the silent girl with pink hair was and why she was just standing in the corner staring at everyone. I’m a bit out of my element among complete strangers, especially if there are a lot of outgoing strangers.

So…triplets, huh? What are some of the ridiculous questions/comments/advice you have gotten since finding out?

Yep, triplets. Oddly enough, no one has given me advice or asked any crazy questions. I do have one family member who repeatedly sticks her foot in her mouth – like the one time she told me I’m like an elephant. I guess elephants are the only animals in her world that have triplets or something? Maybe the pink hair is intimidating to most. Or maybe I’m just too much in a delicate position for people to try stepping on my toes.

If I get a buttload of dumb comments, I’m coming after you, Jess.

If you could go back in time and give your 18 year old self one piece of advice, what would it be?

Don’t listen to your doctor when she says birth control will regulate your cycle. Take some initiative or at least demand an answer for why you don’t have those mythical 28-day cycles. It just might save you some wall punches and a few boxes of tissues in the future.

Other than Taking It One Step at a Time, what are some of your favorite blogs?

One of my favorites is Mad Woman in the Forest, written by author Laurie Halse Anderson. She’s one of my favorite YA authors, and she is an amazing inspiration to any writer. Obviously she focuses on fiction, but a lot of the advice and prompts she gives help with general writing.

Plus, she lives in the woods. And she has chickens. And a kick-ass garden. And she chops wood.

Another favorite is probably the first blog I ever started following: Supafine. It’s written by my friend’s sister, Mary Beth. MB is someone I admire and would love to be like someday when I grow up. She sews, she knits, she has a growing brood of kick-ass kids and a handsome husband, and she’s a great writer.

No comments: